Picture this. A bunch of (admittedly generally fairly good-looking) Aussie boys in rather short shorts running around a big oval field doing whatever they feel like with a strangly shaped yellow ball. That is Aussie rules footie for you. There are however, no rules (the name is quite deceptive...very misleading) it seems.
Yet, despite not being able to understand the game, off we went after work last monday night to the big Etihad Stadium in the city to join forty-one thousand fans to watch two big Melbourne teams, St Kilda and Carlton play the most loved game of AFL. And, it was awesome!
Heaps of fun guessing what was going on (we eventually worked out that getting the ball in the middle two poles gets you 6 points and getting it in the outside poles gets you 1..ooh I think...I may have forgotten already...
Anyway, the team we chose- St Kilda lost :( which we pretended to be very upset about, haha. I'll definately try get to another game! the vibe was awesome and a bit scary (some people get way too intense and emotionally involved with this game).
I still love rugby more though, don't panic. Can't wait to rock out in my Springboks top during the world cup :)
No comments:
Post a Comment