I have arrived in Melbourne! yay! Had a good flight and got through all the airport admin quickly to find Alex standing there waiting for me :) Great to see her again, feels like we haven't been apart! Stuck around for a bit to say hi to Andy and meet Chris...funny to see Andy in real life after 2 years of a virtual friendship!
Alex showed me her awesome little flat (which she shares with Hannah- a British girl that moved here after meeting her boyfriend in England 2 years ago, she started here on the same visa I'm on) where we picked out some party dresses from her massive collection. We then went to her parents house where I found a whole room all made up for me :) We had a good dinner and got dressed up ready to catch a taxi to The Bay- a club about two suburbs away- Alex's Tiger/Tin Roof combo. Was cool to see where Ally hangs out and to judge all the Aussie girls in their verrrry short dresses or maxi-dresses (in a club?! strange). The boys all looked about twelve to me and seem super fashion concsious- most of them a lot prettier than me (i hate that..). We danced and drank yummy vodka, orange and rasberry drinks until I realised that for my body clock it was like 3am and got super tired.
Woke up today round 9 and it was already very hot outside. Ally took me to get a sim card so I have an Aussie number (+61406862922). I met Hannah - really cool girl and we all hung out in the pool for the afternoon- definately the best place to be when its 40 degrees outside!
Some of Alex's parents friends came over and we had a BBQ (nothing like our good old South African braai's...) The family friends moved out here from SA 2years ago and had nothing good to say about SA- makes me feel all patriotic when people talk badly of home...! At least we know how to have a good braai :) Anyway, I will probably have to get used to ex-South Africans speaking like that and just ignore it. I learnt a lot about the people in Melbourne and all the odd people (lots of crazy people around cos they don't have the facilities (I find this funny) to lock them away so there are psycho's wandering the streets...cool....) that you can find on the train (apparently) and got told how to be street wise- quite frankly they made Melbourne sound terrifying and I kept thinking I'd rather be home catching our train down to Kalk Bay!!! Anyway, Tony (Alex's step-dad) reassured me that I would be fine- and I know I will be.
So tomorrow I will brave the train into the big city and meet up with Andy and Chris to explore and find a house :) I have applied for my tax file number and am in the process of booking to do my RSA (responsible service of alcohol) course so I can work in a bar maybe. I have found heaps of job ad's for cafe's and restuarants in the city- which I have emailed and will call tomorrow, so hold thumbs!!
Yup, thats about it for now...
sounds great em :) keep away from the crazy people! tell ally i say hi. lots of love xxx
ReplyDeletesounds awesome! yay so glad its all working out and there are lots of jobs :) will send you an email as soon as i have interesting stuff to tel you ;) loves you x
ReplyDelete